Elizabeth El-Nakla and her husband Maged – the parents of Mr Yousaf’s wife Nadia – were trapped when Israel laid siege to the territory following the October 7 Hamas terror attack on Israel, in which the group killed 1,400 people.
The couple – who are from Dundee – travelled to Gaza to visit family prior to the conflict erupting.
He posted on X today to confirm they are ‘safe and back home’.
Humza Yousaf said his in-laws are ‘safe’ and back in Britain after they were ‘trapped’ in Gaza
Elizabeth El-Nakla and her husband Maged – the parents of Mr Yousaf’s wife Nadia – were trapped when Israel laid siege to the territory following the October 7 Hamas terror attack
But the SNP leader and his wife confirmed this morning that the couple were among an almost 100-strong group permitted to enter Egypt through the Rafah border crossing in Gaza
The First Minister of Scotland posted on X: ‘I am pleased to say my in-laws are safe and back home.
‘We are, of course, elated, but my father-in-law said, “My heart is broken in two, and with my mum, son and grandchildren in Gaza.”
‘He then broke down telling me how hard it was saying goodbye to them.’
In a statement on November 2 , confirming his family would be returning, he said: ‘These last four weeks have been a living nightmare for our family, we are so thankful for all of the messages of comfort and prayers that we have received from across the world, and indeed from across the political spectrum in Scotland and the UK.’
Mr Yousaf added: ‘Although we feel a sense of deep personal relief, we are heartbroken at the continued suffering of the people of Gaza.
‘We will continue to raise our voices to stop the killing and suffering of the innocent people of Gaza.
‘We reiterate our calls for all sides to agree to an immediate ceasefire, the opening of a humanitarian corridor so that significant amounts of aid, including fuel, can flow through to a population that have suffered collective punishment for far too long, and for all hostages to be released.
The First Minister of Scotland posted on X: ‘I am pleased to say my in-laws are safe’
Mr Yousaf posted updates on his in-laws in Gaza on X, calling for a ceasefire
‘Families in Gaza and Israel are suffering after the loss of entirely innocent men, women and children.
‘We pray for them all, and pray that the international community at last focuses on achieving a lasting peace in the region: one that recognises that the rights and lives of Palestinians and Israelis are equal.’
The siege has left food, water, fuel and medical supplies running dangerously low in the Gaza Strip, which is home to more than 2.3 million people.
Mr Yousaf’s wife, Nadia El-Nakla, has reported her parents were without clean drinking water and faced ‘rapidly diminishing supplies’.
The latest list of people who will be permitted to leave Gaza – published by the Palestinian border authority – includes 92 people described as British citizens, out of a total of 127 people named under the UK section of the list.
It comes amid major diplomatic efforts to secure foreign nationals safe passage out of the war-torn region and into Egypt through the Rafah crossing.
Around 200 Britons in Gaza have so far registered with the authorities, and along with their dependents the total number the UK is trying to secure passage for is thought to be in the low hundreds.
The Foreign Office said on Thursday that more UK nationals were able to make it into Egypt after two UK aid workers managed to flee Gaza a day earlier.