An actress who claims that she was sexually assaulted by Russell Brand in a bathroom on the set of ‘Arthur’ as production staff guarded the door has opened up about how she felt ‘used and abused’.
The woman, referred to only as Jane Doe, claims that the comedian and actor attacked her while she appeared as an extra in a scene filmed at Le Cirque restaurant in Manhattan in July 2010 – three months before he married Katy Perry.
Brand, 48, has faced serious allegations of sexual assault, rape and emotional abuse from several different woman but this lawsuit is the first such accusation levelled in court. He denies all claims and says any sexual encounters were consensual.
The comic was first accused of sexually assaulting four women between 2006 and 2013, including one who claimed he raped her against a wall at his LA home in 2012 and another who alleges she had a relationship with Brand aged 16.
Brand is alleged to have committed this newly reported assault in July 2010, while he was engaged to pop star Perry.
Russell Brand has been accused of sexually assaulting an actress while filming on the set of ‘Arthur’ in New York in 2010
The alleged sexual assault is said to have happened three months before Brand married pop star Katy Perry (pictured together in March 2010)
Brand was last seen in public leaving the Troubabour Wembley Park theatre in north-west London after performing a comedy set on September 16
The celebrity couple got engaged in January 2010 and the incident is said to have happened three months before they tied the knot in October later that year. They divorced just 14 months later.
The unnamed actresses stated in an affidavit that Brand ‘appeared intoxicated, smelled of alcohol, and was carrying a bottle of vodka on set’ before attacking her. She also claims that he exposed his penis to her while on set.
Speaking for the first time, she has now told The Sunday Times that the attack left her feeling ‘disgusting’.
She said: ‘I felt used and abused. Disgusting is the only word. I felt like I was being used, that I was just an object for his momentary titillation.’
In the affidavit, she said: ‘The sexual assault happened later that same day when I was in the bathroom.
‘Mr. Brand entered after me and assaulted me, as a member of the production crew guarded the door from outside.’
The woman claims she ‘suffered and continues to suffer extreme embarrassment, shame and fear’ and now finds it ‘difficult to trust others’ as a result of the alleged sexual abuse.
She said that she is speaking out in the hope that others who have experienced similar experiences will have the courage to come forward.
Brand starred in Arthur as a boozing, philandering heir to a fortune alongside Helen Mirren, Jennifer Garner, Greta Gerwig and Nick Nolte. The film was released in 2011
Actor and comedian Russell Brand pictured filming ‘Arthur’ on the streets of New York in 2010
The woman alleges in an affidavit that Brand ‘appeared intoxicated, smelled of alcohol, and was carrying a bottle of vodka on set’ before attacking her. Pictured: Brand on set filming ‘Arthur’ in 2010
Brand pictured with his fiancée at the time Katy Perry in January 2010. He is alleged to have sexually assaulted an actress in July later that year
Brand (pictured in LA, 2019), 48, has faced serious accusations from a series of women which were revealed in an investigation by the Sunday Times and Channel 4 Dispatches programme
The alleged assault – which took place while he was allegedly drunk – comes despite Brand publicly celebrating 20 years of sobriety from alcohol and drugs in 2022.
New York Magazine also reported in a 2011 story about Brand and the film ‘Arthur’ that he had been sober for eight years.
Brand starred in Arthur – a remake of the 1981 Dudley Moore film – as a boozing, philandering heir to a fortune alongside Helen Mirren, Jennifer Garner, Greta Gerwig and Nick Nolte. The film was released in 2011.
The woman claimed that she felt too scared to tell others on the set and felt that she had ‘absolutely no power to speak up for myself’.
She added: ‘Everyone usually turns a blind eye to bad behaviour on a set. ‘If I had come forward and said something to, say, even a production assistant on the set, what are they going to do? Are they going to fire Russell Brand, or are they going to fire me?’
In the court documents, the woman says she was initially booked for three days of work on the ‘Arthur’ film but after the alleged assault she was not brought back and only received money for one day.
The lawsuit has been filed under New York’s Adult Survivors Act, which extended the window for alleged victims to sue their abusers. Alleged victims have until November 23 to come forward about historical sexual offences.
Russell Brand on Big Brother’s Little Brother in 2006. Several women have accused him of sexual assault and predatory behaviour
The suit seeks unspecified money damages from Brand on grounds of assault, battery, false imprisonment and infliction of emotional distress.
The woman believes that sexual harassment on set has been stamped out in more recent years but added that more needs to be done.
‘Arthur’ ended up flopping as a film and largely spelled the end of Brand’s film career, although he starred in Death on the Nile which was released last year.
The latest allegation against Brand comes six weeks after he was accused of abusive and predatory behaviour, including one rape, sexual assault and emotional abuse, between 2006 and 2013 at the height of his fame.
He has vehemently denied the allegations – but the BBC , Channel 4 and production firm Banijay have launched investigations into his behaviour, while the Met Police and Thames Valley police said they are investigating other complaints.
The first allegations included one woman alleging that Brand raped her against the wall of his Los Angeles home without a condom in 2013. She was treated at a rape crisis on the same day, according to medical records seen by The Times.
Another woman alleged he sexually assaulted when she was 16-years-old and still at school in the UK.
A third claimed that Brand sexually assaulted her while she worked with him in LA. She alleged she repeatedly told him to get off her and when he finally did he ‘flipped’.
The fourth claimed she was sexually assaulted by Brand in the UK and accused him of being physically and emotionally abusive towards her.
In the wake of the scandal, a fifth woman filed a report to the Metropolitan Police, claiming she was sexually assaulted by the star in Soho, London, in 2003.
Another accused Brand of locking her in a dressing room and pinning her to sofa with a ‘glazed’ look on his face. The alleged incident, as reported in The Sun, was said to have taken place in 2008 when the comic was 33, after a gig in West London.
One woman also came forward claiming Brand exposed himself to her in an office where BBC Los Angeles operated from in 2008, before going to pre-record a programme for Radio 2 where he appeared to joke about the alleged incident.
And another who was named Sarah to protect her identity, claimed the comic had left her feeling ‘vulnerable and intimidated’ after he allegedly refused to get her a taxi until she performed a sex act.
After Scotland Yard launched a criminal probe into Brand, the Mail revealed last month that Thames Valley Police was also investigating ‘information in relation to the harassment and stalking allegations’ made by a woman.
Brand and Warner Bros, who produced the film, have been approached for comment.